Saturday 2 April 2011

Take off

The day has finally arrived, I fly out tonight and am itching to get going.

Have eased up on the training over the past couple of weeks and mainly been resting up to get rid of all those little niggles and eating lots.  In fact am absolutely sick of food now (something I thought I'd never say) but am a couple of kilos heavier than last year which was my target and hopefully is a good thing.

Have spent the couple of days packing my kit and then repacking it, seem to have managed to get it under the 36kg baggage allowance but given I have freighted out 12kg of stuff out already achieving this on the way back should be even more of a challenge.

Adventure Peaks news feed for the expedition is still not live but I am assured it will be soon and that Stu  will be updating live on summit day, he has even promised to wear his lucky pants for us!!  It will be here (it is also linked on the right hand side) once it is live:
Adventure Peaks Everest 2011 news feed

Thank you in advance to Dave, Euan and Paddy who will help keep this up to date while I am away.  I am hoping my thinly veiled threats of mentioning certain events in Paddy's best man speech and sporting a huge handlebar moustache in Rachel and his wedding photos in June will be enough to ensure that they don't follow through on their promise to "doctor" the updates too much.  Just in case this doesn't quite work, I will definitely not be posting any Yeti pictures until I get back so any that "find their way" onto here should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Finally, thanks for all your kind wishes they are much appreciated and will certainly help me on the way.  I have had a few quotes that people have passed in my direction over the past few days but a couple probably sum things up nicely, from TS Eliot "Only those who risk going too far know how far they can go" and Ed Viesturs "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory."

I will have both of these in the back of mind over the coming weeks and while I will be giving it everything to achieve the summit  I will also make sensible decisions on the mountain to ensure come back in one piece.
tenzing-norgay-on-everest-summit.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment